The information and resources on this page are provided for patients and the public looking for health information.
Please select one of the options below to view the free resources.
- Improving your Health Online - The information on this site aims to help you become a more confident internet user and, in particular, access health information.
- A Practical Guide for Searching NHS Website- PDF document showing you how to make the most of the NHS website.
- GP Services Online: a How to Guide - This online course shows you how to find your local GP surgery online, how to register with a GP surgery online and how to find out more information about the GP surgeries around you. The course also shows you how to apply for repeat prescriptions online and how to look up your health records.
- Understanding Health Research - This tool will guide you through a series of questions to help you to review and interpret a published health research paper.
Health Information Sources
- NHS website - The official website of the National Health Service in England. This website provides a comprehensive health information service with thousands of articles, videos and tools.
- Patient - An independent source of evidence based information on a wide range of medical and health topics for both patients and health professionals.
- Netdoctor - This collaboration between doctors, health care professionals, information specialists and patients aims to provide medical information in a clear and understandable language so that patients fully understand their choices and decisions.
- NICE Guidance - The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) provides national guidance and advice to improve health and social care.
- HealthTalk - This website provides free, reliable information about health issues, by sharing people's real-life experiences.
- Contact a Family - This national charity provides information, advice and support for families with disabled children.
- Easy Health - This site provides access to health information that uses easy words with pictures.
- Reading Well - Reading Well promotes the benefits of reading for health and wellbeing. The programme has two strands: Books on Prescription and Mood-boosting Books. These resources may be available to borrow from the Leeds Public Library service. For more information visit www.leeds.gov.uk/libraries
Lab Tests Online-UK - Lab Tests Online-UK has been designed to help patients to better understand the many clinical lab tests that are part of routine care as well as diagnosis and treatment of a broad range of conditions and diseases.
- Recovering from Surgery - The Royal College of Surgeons has produced this site to provide information leaflets designed to help you make a speedy recovery after surgery.
Resources for Providers and Producers of Health Information
- Patient Information Forum - The Patient Information Forum has produced a range of resources to support the creation and provision of high quality and accessible health information.
- Health Information in Other Languages - A page on the NHS website which provides links to health information in other languages provided by other websites.
See our leaflet for tips on Finding Quality Health Information on the Internet