We can help improvers be more successful by connecting them with the knowledge and learning from other organisations, so that they can get up and running, make decisions and deliver more quickly and based on evidence.
Our mission is to provide them with connections and the ‘gold dust’ information about what works, what doesn’t work and why, that can be applied straight away. So QI teams never need to start with a blank page, or start from scratch.
We offer an Evidence Search service where we can undertake a search on a specific topic to help inform your decisions.
Our service allows teams to make decisions more quickly, as by showing them what others have done they have the confidence to make that decision.
We can help teams think about the following…
- What evidence is already available and what are the gaps?
- What evidence might help you innovate and improve?
- Who has done this before? How did they do it? What did they learn?
Listed below are recommended resources for anyone working in or with Quality Improvement (QI). It is based on recommendations from QI teams.
- An Illustrated Guide to Quality Improvement (East London NHS FT, 2019)
- Quality improvement in hospital trusts: sharing learning from trusts on a journey of QI (Care Quality Commission, 2018)
- Introduction to Quality Improvement (King's Improvement Science, 2018)
- A simple guide to improving services (NHS Improvement, 2016)
- Quality Improvement made simple (The Health Foundation, 2013)
- Handbook of Service Improvement (NHS Institute for Improvement & Innovation, 2010)
- How to Improve (IHI)
- Quality Improvement Tools (NES Scotland)
- Dean, J., 2020. Update from RCP Quality Improvement: Improving improvement through practice, learning and research. Future Healthcare Journal, 7(1), p.6.
- Dixon-Woods Mary. 2019 How to improve healthcare improvement—an essay by Mary Dixon-Woods. BMJ 20197:l5514 .
- Dixon-Woods, M. and Martin, G.P., 2016. Does quality improvement improve quality? Future Hospital Journal, 3(3), p.191.
- Reed, J.E. and Card, A.J., 2016. The problem with plan-do-study-act cycles. BMJ Qual Saf, 25(3), pp.147-152.
QI Training from NHS trusts / organisations:
- Improvement Academy Bronze QI training (approximately 2 hours)
- Improvement Academy Bronze Human Factors training
- Improvement Fundamentals
- Everyday Innovation: Thinking Differently - NHS eLearning for Healthcare
- Leadership Foundations: Improving Services - NHS eLearning for Healthcare
Improvement sites from other NHS Trusts:
- Quality Improvement – East London– really useful with lots of materials and links
- Yorkshire & Humber AHSN Improvement Academy
QI Evidence Update
- Produced monthly and shared on Academy of Fabulous NHS Stuffsite (search for ‘Evidence Update’)
LTHT staff may be interested in the following intranet pages: