As a learner on placement in an NHS organisation you can access the full range of NHS library services, as well as continuing to use your university library service. We provide study space and computer facilities, a wide range of online information resources, a book collection tailored to support clinical knowledge, professional and personal development, and wellbeing, as well as training on literature searching and information skills.
Your university library provides you with a full range of information services such as interlibrary loans, training in the use of their online resources and help with mediated literature searches. Our service supplements that, and can support you during your placement.
- NHS Knowledge and Library Hub: a single gateway for seamless access to a range of high quality knowledge and evidence resources all in one place. Sign in with your OpenAthens account to view the full range of resources available to you. Find out more about the Knowledge and Library Hub.
- BMJ Best Practice (sign in with OpenAthens to access, available to all NHS staff and learners via HEE): one of the world's most trusted* resources for day-to-day practice, used by multiprofessional care teams worldwide.
- Search by detailed symptom or a broader clinical topic
- Share information and discuss treatment options with patients using our accredited patient leaflets
- Stay current and support your professional development. Record reading with automatic CME/CPD tracking to support revalidation and appraisals
- Reassurance whenever and wherever you need it, with online, mobile and offline access via the Best Practice app.
- Trip Pro: a clinical search engine designed to allow users to quickly and easily find and use high-quality research evidence to support their practice and/or care. Sign in with your Open Athens account to access the Pro version.
- Clinical Key: (LTHT only, sign in with Open Athens to access): a medical search engine that runs right from your browser via desktop or mobile device and gives you instant access to:
- Full-text reference books and journals including top titles such as Gray’s Anatomy, Goldman’s Cecil Medicine, Braunwald’s Heart Disease, The Lancet and Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- Clinical Overviews that provide succinct, easy-to-navigate summaries for quick answers
- Drug monographs
- Medical and procedure videos and images
- Customizable patient education handouts
- Practice guidelines
- Clinical calculators and more
- Healthcare databases: To carry out in depth, reproducible literature searches, access Embase, Medline, Emcare, CINAHL and more. Contact us if you need support in using these databases.
- Browse the books available from our libraries.on each of these aspects of nursing practice:
- Care planning and pathways
- Continuous Professional Development
- Equality and diversity
- Fluids and nutrition
- Infection prevention & control
- Learning disabilities
- Mental health nursing
- Nursing assessment and diagnosis
- Nursing communication
- Nursing models
- Nursing skills
- Patient safety
- Patient-centred care
- Quality improvement
- Reflective practice and portfolios
- Study skills
- If you are looking for a specific book you can search our library catalogue to see where it is held. If we do not have the book you need within our library collections, we may be able to obtain it for you from another NHS library - email us or complete a request form . To borrow items join your library and contact us with any queries.
- eBooks can be accessed using an NHS OpenAthens account.
- Oxford Medicine Online: (Select 'Sign in via your institution' and search for NHS in England, then sign in with your OpenAthens account) A digital platform hosting Oxford University Press' prestigious medical titles. Our collection includes the full series of Oxford Handbooks in Nursing.
- Use Browzine to explore the full range of nursing journals available to you through your OpenAthens account. Search 'Leeds' to find your organisation and then navigate to the nursing subject section to explore.
- MAH Complete includes a wide range of nursing related journals, including the British Journal of Cardiac Nursing, British Journal of Community Nursing, International Journla of Palliative Nursing and many more. Log in with your OpenAthens account.
- BNF. The British National Formulary (BNF) aims to provide prescribers, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals with sound up-to-date information about the use of medicines.
- BNF for Children aims to provide prescribers, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals with sound up-to-date information on the use of medicines for treating children.
- Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines. (Log in with OpenAthens to access). The essential evidence-based handbook on the safe and effective prescribing of psychotropic agents. Covering both common and complex prescribing situations encountered in day-to-day clinical practice, this comprehensive resource provides expert guidance on drug choice, minimum and maximum doses, adverse effects, switching medications, prescribing for special patient groups, and more.
- Nice Guidance
- Leeds Health Pathways contains guidelines from all Leeds Healthcare Trusts and other organisations including the Yorkshire Cancer Network, NICE and various professional bodies. This resource is only available on an NHSnet computer.
- Trip Pro (sign in with OpenAthens for access to Pro version). This database aims to deliver the highest quality literature to support evidence based practice. The content includes evidence-based guidelines.
Your library service is here to support you in many different ways throughout your career. As well as the information resources highlighted on this page, we provide:
Information skills training, including tailored training for teams
Literature searching service
Study space and PCs
Support with Quality Improvement work